Monday, April 4, 2011

Harper Monroe Powell

I can't believe I was induced.  The last 2 months I was HUGE.  serious.  Even my doctor said she would come early.  However, she was comfortable and wanted to stay.  My induction was scheduled for March 25. 

I started my FMLA 12 weeks early.  At 36 weeks I started having contractions and was sure this was it! But it wasn't...  It was a Friday and I felt horrible all day at work.  I was so swollen, nauseous and huge.  I told my doctor that I was thinking about starting my maternity leave and she agreed that was the best bet.  Due to insane insomnia and restless leg it wasn't as rest full as it was supposed to be. 

So Friday March 25th came and we left the house about 7:15.  We dropped Hadley off at school trying to keep her routine as normal as possible.  It was pajama and movie day so I knew she would have fun.  As we checked in the receptionist told us how lucky we were.  There had been so many deliveries that week (super moon) they were canceling almost all inductions! I told her I wasn't leaving unless I had a baby in my arms. 

We got checked in and headed to our L&D room. My nurse was KC and she was AWESOME! She didn't make me wear the gown with the boob slits that Lauren and I both had to wear with the girls.  The started the pitosin about 10 and broke my water.  By 10:30 I was almost in tears ready for the epidural.  I really wanted to hold out till I was dilated more but KC and Dr. Bailey assured me there was no reason to wait.  The anisteiologist came in and he and the nurse looked at my spine and asked how long I was treated for my scoliosis.  Excuse me? I don't have that.  My PT mentioned it this fall but only asked if I had been diagnosed.  How does this go unnoticed till 30 years old? Anyway, they adjusted the epidural to fit my curved spine and I was golden. Jared tried to distract me by discussing New Baby's name but this just pissed me off and put him in danger.  Nurse KC told me to expect to dilate 1cm an hour.  It took 10-12 for me to move from a 2.5 to a good 3...  So I forced Jared to take his family across the street for lunch to a great pizza place.  I don't think any of them wanted to leave but I assured them I wanted a little nap and to go! About 3:45 Nurse KC checked me and I was at a 7.  Lauren and I were chatting and tweeting away when Nurse KC came back about 4.  I told her I felt pressure and she laughed and said no way, but she'd check me just in case.  She pushed the nurse button and said CALL DR BAILEY!!! I was already at a 10 and nameless baby was ready to come out.  Jared and I had one last name discussion and made a decision.  I had to wait 15 minutes but once Dr. Bailey walked in I pushes through 2 contractions (about 4 times) and BAM! Harper Monroe was here at 4:30! 8 pounds and 8 ounces and 20 inches long. (hospital said 19& 3/4 but pedi said 20& 3/4 so I keep it at 20)


They cleaned us both off and Harper's nurse helped us feed her and they all left us for a few minutes.  As Harper was eating, I asked Jared if she looked blue. He said no, but a few minutes later said maybe we should call someone...  The nurses came and immediately took her.  My heart stopped.  She wasn't breathing well.  She had aspirated amniotic fluid and they said they were going to watch her and probably put her in NICU.  After about an hour I couldn't hold it anymore and started crying.  IT was shift change time and Baylor doesn't have this down yet.  I had no nurse for an hour.  Finally Jared went and told a nurse that they could get me a wheel chair and take me to the nursery or he would take me without them.  So the nurse came and wheeled me down.  I got to hold my sweet (BIG) baby and we did kangaroo snuggling for a while and she pinked up.  They gave her a bath about 2 hours after delivery and she pooped on the nurse.  Good comic relief at this point.  After about an hour we went to our room and they brought her about midnight.  It was so nice to finally hold her without a group of nurses watching and hovering. 









She is doing great and Big Sister Hadley is starting to adjust.  Hadley LOVES "Baby Harp-her" but is not to happy with Jared and me. 

4 comments:

JDM said...

How fun to read your journey ~ you crack me up sometimes! And so glad little Harper ended up with such a lovely name after all this time :) Love all the pics!

Robby and Lynsey said...

Congratulations! She is adorable and I love her name. (Love both your girls' names!) Hope you are getting some sleep and everyone is adjusting alright now. :)

annalee said...

so happy harper is here and well! she is BEAUTIFUL!

Abbe said...

she is PRECIOUS! i can't wait to see her in person. so sorry she went to the NICU, i am sure she thought i was there and couldn't wait to meet me. did i say she is PRECIOUS!!!!